Wow, this is my 90th Thanksday.
Technically I should have well over 150 by now, since my first one was back in October 2010. But that’s why they call it “grace,” my friends. You just take a little and throw it at your feet for those times you were moving for the fourth time, or dealing with your baby just starting to walk, or moving for the fifth time, or washing your hands of this whole writing thing altogether.
Or moving for the sixth time.
Or flat-out forgetting.
The point is, life happens. And some weeks the focus needs to be elsewhere. And that’s okay.
Thankfuls for this week:
1. Rain. I’m going to just praise God for the rain and not complain one iota about the lack of sun. I’m thankful for warm clothes and socks and shoes and rain coats and galoshes. I’m thankful for afternoon cups of coffee and naps that linger on because it’s just so cozy in bed.
2. Back-to-School Shopping. I absolutely geek out over getting ready for back to school. I don’t enjoy school actually starting, but oh, I do love shopping for it. Jaana and I did most of our shopping online this year, but it was still so fun. Even more fun is having packages arrive daily just for her. And I’m beyond excited about these two words this year: saddle shoes. I canNOT wait to see her in her kicky pleated skirts and side ponytail and saddle shoes. Pinch me, for realz.
3. FaceTiming. This week, I finally got to see the beautiful face and hear the melodic voice of a bloggy friend I haven’t met in person yet. And oh my lands, are we two sisters from another mister! I adore her so much already, and can’t wait to hug her neck at Allume in October!
4. Jen Hatmaker. Because for realz, I cry with laughter when I read most of her blog posts. But especially this one right here.
5. The Letter Z. Because “for realz” is so much more fun to type with a “z.”
6. Making Lemonade. Not in the “when life hands you lemons” way, but (say it together) for realz making lemonade. Jaana wants to earn some money for church offering (collective “awwwwww” inserted here), so we spent one day this week melting sugar in hot water and squeezing lemons and lit’rly making lemonade. Here’s to hoping more money ends up in the offering plate than her piggy bank. (Y’all think I’m kidding, but I did not birth a total saint.) (True dat.)
7. BE-ing. You know what happens when you’re fully present where you are? And you sorta-kinda stop stressing about certain things? God has a way of filling in the gaps. And He’s been busy filling gaps lately. And while He’s filling gaps, I’m at peace and working hard, but not striving — and it’s a whole new world, there’s no doubt about it. But I’m embracing it with two wide open arms. Come to Mama.
8. Home Sweet Home. My sister-in-law and niece and nephew are back from a fun few weeks in Japan, and so we made an impromptu trip to The Big City to see them before they started school this week. There is nothing like seeing cousins who adore each other reunited and playing Chicken in the swimming pool. There just isn’t.
9. Extra Care Bucks. I rarely shop at CVS, mainly because there isn’t one close enough to frequent. But I go every time I’m in The Big City, and my in-store coupons that print out are endless. Well this week, I completed an online survey that earned me $10 in Extra Care Bucks, and I had another $6 in random bucks plus 30% off. So Mama got herself some mascara and such and paid next to nothin’. ‘Twas glorious.
10. And Such. I am thankful for phrases like “and such” that give no extra insight as to what I might have purchased at the CVS. It’s the “yada yada yada” of today’s youth, is what it is. For realz.
That’s about it, I believe. Life is about to happen, so it’s time for me to focus on this thing called Alone Time.
What are you thankful for this week?