I’m no expert. Of that I’m sure.
But as I was blow-drying my hair today, I surveyed the small smattering of products I had just used, and realized they were very few, now that summer is here. And I decided right then and there I was going to write about it.
Only because I have the itch to write, and wanted to be geeky and make this product graphic (complete with obvious amateur iPhone photo shoot). Not because I’m an expert.
Have we established I’m not an expert?
What I love about summer is the less-is-more aspect of my makeup and beauty routine. (What I hate about it is the less-is-more aspect of clothing, but whatev.) If I haven’t said it before, I’ll say it now: I’m a lazy getting-ready-er. So summertime suits me well.
Here are my favorite go-tos for this time of the year:
1. John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Lightening Spray. Since Hair Guy is in The Big City and requires a three-hour drive, I resort to this to take my roots back to their roots between visits. And what’s great about summer is you can just spritz it in, go to the pool, and let the sun do its job.
2. Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Color Balm (fave color: Chunky Cherry). This is the first makeup item I’ve purchased in years that didn’t come from Wal-Mart, Target or Ingles. I’m an enormous fan of the sheer lip gloss (not the goopy kind, the stick kind). Goes on quick, doesn’t need a mirror or a perfect hand to apply, gives just the right amount of color and plenty of moisturizing. This one is great for nighttime or whenever you’ll be indoors most of the day, since it doesn’t have SPF.
(editors note: Holy long product names, sheesh.)
3. Jergens Natural Glow Face with SPF 20. This has replaced my daily moisturizer and makes me look not quite so anemic. And with SPF built in, I can wear it to the pool and have natural color while trying to obtain natural color.
4. Cover Girl Natureluxe Gloss Balm with SPF 15 (fave color: Clove). This one is just a tad more lipsticky, but really is still pretty sheer. And bonus, it’s got SPF so I can wear it to the pool. (I hate going barefoot and bare-lipped. I consider sheer lip tint the flip-flops of my lips — always. must. have. on.)
5. Cover Girl Lip Slicks (fave color: Hipster). See? I’m a sheer lip tint/balm/gloss junkie. This one is pretty basic, but is my old friend and standby. I keep it with me at all times.
6. L’Oreal True Match Naturale Mineral Illuminator (fave color: Rose Glow). Out with my liquid foundation and pressed powder, this mineral powder is all I use as a base now. It gives just the right amount of color without looking like blush. Trés natural. (<= Hey look! I figured out the accent over the ‘e’ thing!)
So that’s it for me…a bare-minimum makeup routine to get me through the summer. What are your summer makeup must haves?